FairVote California (FVCA), a project of FairVote, is a nonpartisan champion of electoral reforms that give voters greater choice, a stronger voice, and a representative democracy that works for all Americans.
California’s history of leading the nation in change shows great promise in implementing new and proven electoral systems that give voters more voice and fairly reflects our state and nation’s vibrant diversity. California cities were the first to adopt ranked choice voting in the modern era, and California has passed electoral innovations involving primaries, voter registration, voting rights, and redistricting. FVCA seeks an electoral system that reflects the will of the people through strategic research, advocacy, and coalition-building. California is ready to support more fair, inclusive, and representative ways of voting that pave the way for local, state, and national change.
Since launching in August 2016, FVCA has worked to advance ranked choice voting (RCV) and other electoral issues across the state while supporting FairVote in its national work. This includes:
- Making electoral reforms work: Being a resource for effective implementation of RCV in current cities such as Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, and San Leandro.
- Technical assistance: Build relationships with election officials and election administrators on best practices for expanding use of RCV.
- Building coalitions: Continuing to build relationships with California’s electoral reform advocates, civil rights groups, and allies seeking to enhance voting rights.
- Expanding public awareness: Connecting with community leaders, election officials, journalists, and scholars around the state to better understand current challenges and opportunities to make California’s voting laws fairer and more representative
- Successful advocacy campaigns: Support community groups and volunteers in ballot measure and legislative campaigns to expand use of RCV at the local level.
Meet the Team
FairVote California advocates for electoral solutions that give voters more voice and greater choice. Our team includes seasoned professionals who understand electoral reform issues throughout the state.